WaMu or Chase or whatever they call themselves!

Last Sunday evening I got a disturbing phone call from Amy.  “Mom, someone took $500 out of my bank account today in Daly City!!!”  I got online and sure enough there was a $500 debit taken at the bank ATM.  Amy calls the bank and was told it was my card which is attached to her account.  While she was speaking to the agent I was checking accounts online and saw that Stephanie also had a $500 debit from a bank ATM in Daly City – a different one.  Of course I check right away to see if I have my card and if my account was also affected.  My card was in my wallet just like it should be.  So Amy finds out I have to call the bank cause it is my card and they won’t tell her anything.  I call and then they say you can’t call until business hours, Monday 6 am till 1pm central time!

Monday morning I get up file the 2 claims with the nice agent and hope they give us our money back in 7 – 10 days.  Wednesday by noon there is a deposit into Amy’s account but not Stephanie’s and now Stephanies also has 4, $33.00 overdraft charges as she had used it on the weekend and the $500 made her negative.  I give the Debit Fraud people a call and after much running around and a bunch of bologna the rude man named Ben who supposedly was a manager says “It isn’t Fraud, we only put the money into the first account as a courtesy and no further action will take place!”  Great, someone steels my card number and my pin number that I have had for 20 years that no one knows but me, it isn’t written down, and I still have my card and I was nowhere near Daly City but it isn’t fraud, too bad lady.

Well I am not that easy so after a long phone conversation I give up and let Paul try – nothing.  So Wednesday we are coming to San Jose so I go to my local branch on Almaden Expressway and spend over 3 hours talking to an assistant manager who can do nothing except call the Debit Card center for me!  After 2 hours he says, the Debit Card agent, myself and the Executive Office agent need to run down some info and it will take about an hour, go have some lunch and come back at 3 pm.  I arrive at 3 like I am told, and I wait 30 minutes for Nic to finally come and take me to an empty cubicle without a computer and tell me ” No fraud was committed and the first $500 we put back accidentally but we are going to leave it as a courtesy!”  Right, banks do such nice things for there customers all the time – When was the last time they accidentally gave you money and didn’t take it back as soon as they realized it!

Anyway I go home and try to figure out our next move cause we are now short over $600 and someone has my private info.  The worse part of this is I had to come up with a new pin which I have not even gotten to use yet cause I don’t have an ATM card!  That is really hard, at my age I am not sure how long my mind is going to retain a random number!  Interesting, Stephanie goes to B of A and opens an account so she can pay rent and they give her checks and a temporary ATM card on the spot!

Finally on Wednesday before they close I get someone in the Fraud Department that says , “I think we should look at this further and I will have my manager call you tomorrow morning!  Wednesday was a waste!  I filed a police report and contacted the Santa Clara District Attorneys office.

On Thursday, Amy and I had to travel to Hanford to get her belongings out of storage and on the way home I get a call from the District Attorneys office and was told that I should file a claim and they can make the bank give them any evidence they have uncovered.  Right after that I get a call from another person at WaMu Debit Fraud Department who says “I reviewed your claim and it was Fraud and your money will be redeposited by close of business today or first thing Friday morning!  Yeah!  And the overdraft charges too!  Yeah!

Well the money wasn’t there on Friday by 11 am so I am on the phone again to the Debit Fraud department and get another supervisor which I have to explain everything to because for some reason the bank does not write anything down and there are no notes about my claim!  After at least another hour with Calvin I think he finally understands the situation and may want to help (? I have been wrong before).  Anyway he tells me his manager is in a meeting and he will have to wait until she is done to get authorization to put the money back!  I feel like a YoYo!  At 2 pm he calls and says the manager is still in the meeting and he or the manager will call me by 4 pm central time!

Well here is is Saturday night and Stephanie’s account is still $550 negative and no phone calls from anyone!!!!  We do get daily emails and text messages telling us our account has insufficient funds and we need to deposit funds into the account!  Yeah,  I will do that just as quickly as they are giving me my money back!  B of A is looking better and better!

I will let you know what happens on Monday!

Comments are closed.